Friday, January 7, 2011

{ mizmargauxxx's mix: oasis }


Oasis... When I first discovered these giants of Brit Rock I was a young gal of about 14. It was life changing... this was the band that opened up a world of music to me. I was no longer the kid that listened to the stuff her parents did (not that there was anything wrong with their taste, my parents were recording artists and helped me develop a decent ear and music taste) but I know had my own band, a band of fuck-you rock'n'rollers, and not too shabby looking to boot. As I grew older and my tastes matured and developed, and as Oasis faded and continued their Brit pop style, we grew apart. It's not that they didn't keep making great music, it just didn't evolve with me. But I still love the nostalgia feeling I get when I listen to a 'classic' Oasis song, and when a new single or song is rumored I still get that anxious excitement I did when I was 16.

So this post is a lil' nod to a great, Oasis, and most recently Beady Eye (Liam's solo song writing attempts sans Noel). I was unfortunately not impressed by the first single, Bring the Light, but with a new cd release quickly approaching, I found the next two songs much more enjoyable.

Their most recent single Four Letter Word, is sort of what I'd expect for a new oasis single. Strong beat, whirling guitars, and slightly more refined vocals from Liam. At times I find it trying to hard, but overall enjoyable.


Today's release, The Roller, is drenched with heavy John Lennon-esque hand... not that I'm complaining. This so far is my favorite of the Beady Eye songs. A sweet and catchy chorus, "They call me the roller, I squeeze and unfold ya..." lingers with me. The guitar solo isn't trying so hard like in Four Letter Word, and the piano re-emphasizing the bass is a nice addition. This single is starting to reignite my 'Oasis' love. I hope you guys enjoy as well!
Beady Eye - The Roller by ListenBeforeYouBuy

1 comment:

Daniel S said...

I've always liked Oasis, even some of their shittier albums/songs are OK by my standards.

I had been avoiding the Beady Eye stuff because I heard a bunch of negative reviews of that first single, but I guess i'll be giving them a shot now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...