Wednesday, March 7, 2012

{ An Adventure of Experiments through Food }

A series by: Erin Gray

I would like to preface my first entry by saying that as of late I have started using my usual sources (foodnetwork.com, most frequently) to find new and exciting recipes. If not already made as such, I have adjusted each recipe to make it more health conscious in an effort to stay within the parameters of my diet I have been on for the past year. For those interested I'll veer off my path just to say thanks to a discovery in the world of apps I have stuck to a plan much like Weight Watcher's, only without the stress of having to be a physicist just to figure out if I'm allowed that glass of wine at dinner or not. Let's face it .. I was an art major, math is not my strong suit! That said, I want everyone to share these recipes and not think of them as guidelines but the building blocks to tweak and use your own creativity to make them yours as I have already done for myself. Enjoy!

Dinner week 1: Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Mexican Lasagna


Mexican Lasagna:
12 wheat tortillas
12 oz shredded cheese (i used kroger hispanic blend)
30.5 oz sweet corn (2 cans of green giant corn)
7 oz diced green chiles
30 oz canned black beans
29 oz canned diced tomatoes
1 T ketchup
garlic salt (to taste, you can also do minced garlic and 1 tsp sea salt)
1 can sliced black olives
1 med. yellow onion
1 lb thin sliced chicken breast
1 jalepeno diced
4 sprigs cilantro, chopped

brown the chicken with just salt and pepper to season. in a sauce pan i cooked the tomatoes, oninon, chilis, garlic salt, ketchup, cilantro and onion for about 10-15 min on medium heat. In a separate bowl mix black beans, olives, corn, and browned chicken. layer as follows : 4 tortillas, half of corn/bean mix, 1/3 of cheese, 4 tortillas last of corn/bean mix, 1/3 of cheese, tomato sauce, rest of cheese. bake on 400 for 30-40 min.. also spray pan with cooking spray so bottom tortillas do not stick.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts:
1 package frozen brussels sprouts, thawed. (or use fresh if you prefer)
2 T olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

**for this meal I added chili lime powder to the brussels sprouts, I thought for something Italian adding parmesan cheese might also be a great addition.

drizzle the olive oil over sprouts. season as desired. back at 400 for 30-40 minutes.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...